The whole world has been fighting a demon for the past 2months, which has literally put almost everybody on hold. Countries are now enforcing lockdowns as this virus is quickly spreading and causing deaths around the world. The virus has caused the loss of lives in many countries, of which Italy has recorded the highest deaths because the country has a higher population of elderlies. The virus which is easily transmitted and started in Wuhan China has spread to other parts of the world because people are coming in contact with infected persons and its speed of spreading is fast.
In Nigeria, some popular people have come out to declare publicly that they have tested positive to the Virus through their social media platforms and also advised others to be safe.
- Nasiru El-Rufai: The Governor of Kaduna State, Nasiru El-Rufai has stated on 28th of March in a statement he issued in Kaduna state, that he regrets to say that he tested positive for the virus after being tested. According to him, “Earlier this week, I submitted a sample for the COVID-19 test. The result came in this evening, and I regret to say that it is positive. The deputy governor is chairing our COVID-19 Taskforce and will continue to issue statements from time to time,” El-Rufai said.
- Chioma Davido: The popular 30BG crew boss David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, took to his Instagram page to tell Nigerians that his Fiancée Chioma popularly called Chef Chi, has tested positive to the Corona Virus after going through the test, on Friday night 27th of March. The singer said that although she is currently asymptomatic, they decided to take the test because of their travel history. His fiancée was the only one who tested positive amongst over 30 of them that took the test including their baby. In his words, he thanked all for their love and prayers in advance and urged everyone to stay at home.
- Abba Kyari: Abba Kyari, President Muhammadu Buhari’s chief of staff, has tested positive for Corona Virus, following a trip to Germany and Egypt for a meeting where he is said to have contracted the virus. Kyari, who is in his 70s, has a history of medical complications, including diabetes, according to sources online.
- Sen. Bala Mohammed: Governor of Bauchi state, Sen. Bala Mohammed, has tested positive for Coronavirus. The news was announced by the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Media, Muktar Gidado, in a statement. The statement added that the governor is now in isolation as his doctors and officials from Nigeria’s Centre for Disease Control have taken full charge of his isolation.
- Frank Okiye : The Deputy Governor of Edo State, Philip Shaibu, has disclosed in a press conference that the speaker of the Edo state House of assembly has tested positive to the Corona Virus. He further disclosed that Mr. Frank Okiye was the recorded index case that was being referred to the State Government.
As the Federal Government, together with the NCDC team and health workers are working effortlessly to detect cases and give proper health care treatment’s to the affected persons, law enforcement agents like the police, the Army, the civil defence Corp and other paramilitary bodies, have also been deployed in some states to ensure that Nigerians adhere strictly to the stay at home rule and as well Social distancing. Although exception has been given to some types of people, like health care workers, food supply chains, petroleum and gas suppliers, etc to operate during this period. Anyone found violating the orders will have law enforcement agents to answer to.